Take Advantage of Available Access

Did you know that approximately 92% of our population aren’t seeking annual primary healthcare screenings? Most health insurance plans cover this annual exam. All you have to do is call, schedule, and show up for your appointment. At your appointment, your provider will ask basic questions, document a few vitals, and determine what screenings or lab work are recommended due to your health history or age. It is the simplest of appointments. Yet, it can truly save your life. Without a baseline appointment, you are allowing preventable diseases to remain undetected, leading to serious health concerns.

In 2024, All Care is focusing on increasing access to healthcare. We want more people to come in our doors. Joel Dougherty, All Care’s CEO, said it best. “It’s not about bringing in more dollars; it’s about seeing more people. The more people we see, the more people who are well.” Simply stated, the more people who schedule and follow through with an annual exam, the healthier our population becomes. 

The Iowa Cancer Registry recently published that Iowa continues to have the second-highest and fastest-growing rate of new cancer diagnoses in the United States. Higher screening rates can stop that statistic in its tracks. In February, All Care reported its annual UDS1 numbers to HRSA*2. This data includes a reflection of our patient health via data surrounding screenings that our provider teams can complete. For example, only 31% of our patients between the ages of 45 and 75 completed recommended colorectal cancer screening in 2024. The other 69% are taking a massive risk with their most important asset – their health. Colorectal cancer screening doesn’t have to include a colonoscopy. It can consist of a simple FIT (fetal immunochemical test) or a Cologuard test. These are non-invasive approaches to test your colon health. A FIT and Cologuard test detect tiny amounts of blood in your stool, which can indicate colorectal cancer or other issues.

March is colon cancer awareness month. Colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death in the U.S., affecting both men and women. Let’s consider March a month to celebrate your health and to schedule your annual exam if you haven’t. While at your appointment, ask your healthcare provider if you are due for colon cancer screening. All Care’s medical providers have room in their schedules to see you. Make the appointment. Tell your friends to do the same.

Make March the month that you save your life every year!

  1. *UDS – The Uniform Data System is a tool managed by HRSA for health centers to report on performance and quality of care.   ↩︎
  2. *HRSA – The Health Resources Services Administration is a federal agency that provides healthcare and other services to people who are geographically isolated, economically or medically vulnerable, or unable to access high-quality healthcare.   ↩︎